The Department of Clinical Biochemistry provides qualitative and quantitative testing facility for a wide range of core biochemistry and specialized investigations in bodily fluids such as blood, serum or plasma, urine, & other bodily fluids. Comprehensive state-of-the-art technology (fully automated instruments), highly standardized procedures, meticulously documented quality control, extremely competent laboratory staff, relevant, accurate and timely results set Department of Clinical Biochemistry right at the forefront of diagnostic laboratories in Nepal. At present we do nearly 165 different analytes (tests) and many of the tests services provided are not offered elsewhere in Nepal. Our faculties are involved in teaching and mentoring undergraduates (medical, dental, nursing, physiotherapy & human biology) students in biochemistry subjects including molecular biology and genetics and interdisciplinary research with clinical staff. Besides that, they participate and contribute to local, national and international scientific meetings, congress and conferences.
- Turnaround Time (TAT): We have exceptional turnaround time of 2 hours 30 minutes for almost all (160) parameters i.e. report of all 160 parameters will be provided with 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Analysis of uncommon Parameters: We became the foremost institute to introduce following biochemical parameters for the first time in Nepal: Brahms Procalcitonin (PCT), 25-OH- Vitamin D-Total assay, 1-84 Parathyroid hormone (PTH), Osteocalcin assay, bone alkaline phosphatase (BAP) ostease, N-tact PTH II, Human growth hormone (hGH), Insulin, Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG), Aldosterone, Direct Renin, Adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), Estradiol II Gen, Progesterone II Gen, Prolactin XT,Thyroid peroxidase antibody ( Anti-TPO), Antithyroglobulin antibody (Anti TG), thyroglobulin (TG), Calcitonin II Gen, Thymidine Kinase, tissue polypeptide antigen- monoclonal (TPA-M), CA-125 II, PSA (total &free), B2-microglobulin, non-specific esterase (NSE), S-100, anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibody (Anti-CCP), Ultra-TSH, tissue transglutaminase (tTG) IgA , Cardiolin IgG & IgM,C3 & C4, Cystatin-C, Apo-A1, Apo-B, Lipoprotein (a), hS CRP,Ceruloplasmin, Lamda light chain, high resolution serum protein electrophoresis, hemoglobin electrophoresis and Anti HBs II have been introduced in 2011.
- Introduction of unusual parameters have made possible to get in cost- effective (cheaper), less turnaround time (just 2.5 hours) and reduced our dependency in foreign laboratories.
- SOP: All testing are performed following standard operating procedures that are revised regularly.
- Laboratory set up:
For Routine biochemical and few special parameters:
- Gesan Chem 200- an Automatic Analyzer for Clinical Chemistry and Turbidimetry Immunochemistry Tests by Gesan Production Srl, Italy.
- Lablife Robochem Fully automated random access biochemistry analyzers by RFCL Diagnova / Avantor, India.
- Flexor Junior Full Automatic Chemistry Analyzer by Vitalab Scientific, Netherland.
- Electrolyte analyzer i-Smart 30- multi-usable cartridge-based electrolyte analyzer by I-SENS Inc., South Korea.
- Medica Easylyte ISE electrolyte analyzer by Medica Corporation,USA.
For Immunological & Special parameters:
- LIAISON® analyzer with chemiluminescence technology (CLIA) technology by Dia Sorin, S.p.A, Italy.
- DAX 50 ELISA washer, DAX 800 ELISA reader & Stat Fax 2200 Incubator/Shaker by Diagnostic Automation / Cortez Diagnostics Inc., USA.
- Lab Life eR2007 Microplate ELISA Reader and Washer by RFCL Diagnova / Avantor, India.
- Mispa i2- Specific protein analyzer by Agappe, Switzerland.
- Cellas electrophoresis system for Serum protein and Hemoglobin by Cleaver Scientific Ltd, United Kingdom.
Point-of-care testing (POCT) device:
- i-Chroma Immunoassay with Point of Care Testing (POCT) by BodiTech Med Inc.,S Korea.
- Nycrocard Immunoassay with Point of Care Testing (POCT) by Axis Shield Nycocard, Norway.
Not every laboratory is equipped to carry out all possible biochemistry requests.
- Rectification of laboratory errors: Patient samples will be tested only when daily control runs are acceptable according to the set West guard rules.
We perform daily internal quality control (IQC) by using:
- Lyphocheck assayed chemistry control from Bio-Rad Laboratories, USA (for core biochemistry).
- Assayed Universal Control Serum (DIACON) from DIALAB GmBH Diagnostics, Austria (for core biochemistry).
- True Lab from DiaSys Diagnostic Systems GmbH, Germany (for core biochemistry).
- Lyphocheck immunoassay plus control from Bio-Rad Laboratories, USA (for specialized parameters).
- Diamond control material, Diamond diagnostic, USA (for ISE analyzer).
We are participating in monthly External Quality Assurance Scheme (EQAS) programme:
- With Department of Clinical Biochemistry with Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore, India (for core biochemistry, immunological parameters and HbA1c since 2005.
- With Asian Network for Clinical Laboratory Standardization and Harmonization, Asian Quality Assurance Survey Program (AQuAs), South Korea since 2010.
We were ranked at 660 among 2738 laboratories who participate in EQAS programme with CMC, Vellore, India in the year 2013.
Only laboratory in the country to participate continuously in EQAS programme for so many parameters and for glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c) and special hormone panel.
Our faculties are continuously involve in teaching-learning activities for medical undergraduates (MBBS & BDS), Nursing undergraduates (B Sc in Nursing & Bachelor in Nursing) and paramedical undergraduates (B Sc in Human biology & Bachelor in Physiotherapy) at Kathmandu University, School of Medical Sciences (KUSMS) thorough theory classes, practical classes, demonstration classes, and clinical laboratory exposure supervision.
Research and Significant Achievements:
The faculties are also engaged in applied research and have been the most productive department with successful and ongoing researches that have already got national as well as international acclaim. The researchers are focused on acute and chronic liver diseases, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, thyroid dysfunction and other endocrine disorders, biomarkers & total quality management(TQM) in laboratory medicine and have several publications in international and national journals. A faculty has also led numerous national and international level workshops and conferences related to clinical biochemistry, endocrinology & hepatology and have represented this institution in professional forums.
Dr. Prabodh Risal:
- Science and Technology Award for the fiscal year 2069/2070 by Nepal Academy of Science and Technology.
- Presidential award to participate in Asia Pacific Digestive's Week, December 5-8, 2012, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Travel Grant award to participate in 2013 Seoul international congress of Endocrinology and Metabolism.
- Travel Grant award to participate in annual meeting of The Korean Association of the Study of Liver 2013.
- Young Scientist Award 2012 in Biomedical Science by Chonbuk National University Medical School.
Mr. Prabin Gyawali:
- Young Scientist Bursary Award 2014 to attend Excellence in Diabetes 2014 (EiD 2014), Doha, Qatar.
- APSH 2014 Young Investigator Award from Asian Pacific Society of Hypertension (APSH) member societies to attend 10th Asian Pacific Congress of Hypertension.
- APFCB-AACB TRAVEL SCHOLORSHIP 2012 to attend the AACB 50th Annual Scientific Conference held in Melbourne, Australia.
- International Society of Endocrinology (ISE) AWARD 2012 to attend 15th International Congress of Endocrinology & 14th European Congress of Endocrinology (ICE/ECE 2012), Florence, Italy.
- IDF 2011 INTERNATIONAL TRAVELS GRANT to attend World Diabetes Congress 2011 organized by International Diabetes Federation (IDF) by 4-8 December, 2011 at Dubai, UAE.
- Asian Pacific Congress of Clinical biochemistry (APCCB)-2010 Young Scientist Award in honor and recognition of excellent research work by Asian & Pacific Federation of Clinical Biochemistry (APFCB) at 12th Asian Pacific Congress of Clinical Biochemistry, 3-7, October 2010, Seoul, South Korea.
To establish clinical biochemistry laboratory as paradigm in context of Nepal by:
- Introduce techniques for Therapeutic Drug Monitoring (TDM) parameters.
- Introduce the inventory management for reagent Stock Maintenance.
- Manage Laboratory Information System (LIS) to minimize Turnaround Time (TAT) and error in Pre analytical and Post analytical phase.
- Expanding the ranges of biochemical parameters and their interpretation e.g., Salivary Cortisol, Interferon-g receptor, TSH-receptor antibodies, Scl-70 etc.
- Documentation for ISO certification accreditation.
- Quality control of POCT devices e.g. Glucometer, Nycocard etc.
- Extent the area of research and apply for external research grant.
Biochemistry test list of routine parameter
Biochemistry test list of special parameter
REQUISTION FORM FOR ROUTINE BIOMEDICAL PARAMETERS ON BLOOD