Overview of the Department
The Department of Periodontics as a specialty department in Dhulikhel hospital was started in 2008, led by Dr. Manoj Humagain (Currently professor and head of the department of periodontics, Associate Dean, KUSMS). The department of Periodontics provides instructions and clinical experiences dealing with the etiology, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases of the periodontium in adults. The department also provides surgical placement of implants and implant maintenance. The departmental goal is to provide the undergraduate and postgraduate students with a strong educational foundation in periodontology for their future careers in dentistry and to contribute new knowledge through basic and clinical research in periodontics. The department of Periodontics is furnished with state-of-the-art diagnostic and surgical equipment. The outpatient department is equipped with 15 modern dental chairs along with 15 ultrasonic scalers, a cautery unit, and an Implantology unit.
The following treatment procedures are provided by the department:
– Scaling and root planing
– Local drug delivery
– Gingivectomy/ gingivoplasty
– Occlusal treatment to include occlusal adjustment, selective grinding
– Stabilization/ splinting
– Gingival/ mucoperiosteal flaps, including gingival flap procedures, apically positioned flaps and coronally positioned flaps
– Periodontal osseous resective surgery (osteoplasty and ostectomy)
– Root resection in the management of periodontal disease
– Periodontal regenerative therapies, including bone or bone substitute grafts and guided tissue regeneration
– Management of endodontic-periodontal lesions with treatment performed in conjunction with endodontic consultation
– Functional and esthetic periodontal procedures including gingival augmentation/ridge augmentation, lip repositioning as well as gingival connective tissue and pedicle graft.
– Implant therapy